Skip to page body Home About Us Government Departments Doing Business Services I Want To...

Expand All / Contract All

Questions about Flood Plain Information can be acquired through the following agencies.
Questions regarding Landfill Regulations, (MUD) Municipal Utility District Regulations, can be found at the following website.
Where can I find information on (FM) Farm to Market Roads or State Highways?

Questions regarding (FM) Farm to Market Roads or State Highways can be found through the following agencies:

What are current state road conditions?
Who can perform residential inspections in Fort Bend County?

Residential builders can contract with the following to conduct inspections:

  • a licensed professional engineer
  • a registered architect
  • a residential inspector licensed by Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
  • a plumbing inspector licensed by Texas Board of Plumbing Examiners
  • a building inspector employed by a political subdivision
  • an ICC certified Residential Combination Inspector(bldg, electrical, mechanical, plumbing)
Do I have to live in Fort Bend County, to perform residential inspections?
No, any inspector that meets the criteria can perform inspections.
Do I need to pay any fees to conduct residential inspections?
No, Fort Bend County does not collect any fees for inspectors to conduct or register inspections.
Do I need to register with Fort Bend County to do residential inspections?
You must log on to Fort Bend County Residential Building Code Inspection Notification System to obtain a login and password, to be able to register each inspection online.
How many inspections do I need to perform on a house?

A minimum of three inspections shall be done during construction:

  1. Foundation Inspection (before placement of concrete)
  2. Framing & Mechanical System Inspection (before drywall install)
  3. Final Inspection (upon completion of residence)
Do I need to file the inspection results with Fort Bend County?
Yes, a Residential Building Code Inspection Notification System has been developed, by Fort Bend County for you to enter inspection results online.
Who can register for a username and password?
Residential Builders and Inspectors
Who can give notice to Fort Bend County that an inspection occurred?
The Permitted Builder or Inspector
Where do I get the permit number for the construction I just inspected?

The builder will receive the Permit Number, via email, when the builder submits a Fort Bend County Development Application at the Fort Bend County Engineering Department.

The builder will provide the inspector with the Permit Number.

I just inspected a residential construction; do I or the builder log in to notify Fort Bend County?
It is up to the builder to determine who notifies Fort Bend County via the Residential Building Code Inspection Notification System.
I just inspected a structure that was permitted in August 2009; do I need to provide notice to Fort Bend County?
No, only residential structures permitted on or after April 1, 2010 require notification to Fort Bend County.
What is the Fort Bend County Inspection Worksheet Form used for?
This form was created for field use by inspectors to easily collect data that is required to be transposed onto our Residential Building Code Inspection Notification System.
Can I provide notice of an inspection by any other means than the website?
No, the website is the only means a builder or inspector can provide notice to Fort Bend County.
Do I need to apply for a development permit?

Development Permit is required when the proposed construction or other development is characterized by any of the following:

  • Any work to be performed is within floodplain or flood-prone areas (Special Flood Hazard Areas) as defined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA);
  • Construction of any structure is larger than 100 square feet including but not limited to a barn, garage, workshop, or storage building;
  • Work involves the development of improved or unimproved real estate including but not limited to buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment and materials;
  • Fill placement or excavation is greater than 40 loads (500 cubic yards) per acre and/or there is a change in any elevation by six (6) inches or more.

Learn More >>

Questions regarding Road Work, Driveway Culverts, Roadside Ditches, etc., can be found at the following site.
Questions regarding Regional Census Info., 911, Solid Waste, or Transportation can be found at the following website.